PROJECT: A Comprehensive Design / Build / Maintain IT Project
CLIENT: Hospira, Inc.
BACKGROUND and CHALLENGE:
Pharmaceutical company Hospira, Inc., is the world’s leading provider of injectable drugs and infusion technologies. Headquartered in Lake Forest, Illinois, Hospira has approximately 19,000 employees. Premiere Communications and Consulting was tasked to perform a complete renovation of Hospira’s existing telecom cable infrastructure at their facility in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.
SCOPE OF THE WORK:
- Discovery phase included a walk-through to find new backbone cable routes, spaces for new IT closets, and plan for renovations of existing closets. We captured the location of all existing data outlets in preparation for our design of new plans for the infrastructure.
- A main part of the build phase was the renovation of some of the existing IT closets and creating new ones throughout the 1.3 million square foot facility.
- Replacement work included changing all horizontal station cabling to prepare the facility for new VoIP telephony and new Cisco network switch conversion.
- The IT closet reconfiguration involved the replacement of the existing fiber optic backbone.
- Once an IT closet was complete, the Hospira IT staff cut-over the outlets to the new infrastructure with the support of Premiere. Once all connections were verified, Premiere’s demo crews removed abandoned cabling from that section. This continued throughout the 15-month duration of the project.
- We performed CCTV camera additions and changes along with providing the same for many existing and new WiFi antenna locations. During the project we were also tasked to install a SureCall cellular repeater system to enable better cell phone coverage throughout the facility.
- Completed in January 2015, Hospira’s new infrastructure is a solid platform both for today’s needs and to support future technological developments. We’re prepared to perform ongoing MAC (Moves, Adds & Changes) work for Hospira as their facility evolves.